Leading During COVID
A Personal Message From Steve
Struggling with how best to lead your team during the COVID19 pandemic?
You may be aware that I led the Red Cross response to SARS. We deployed hundreds of volunteers and paid staff into what could have been an extraordinarily fearful situation.
Our team responded to the situation with class & style because, as leaders:
- We provided expert evidence-based advice and full disclosure of the risks to all our people.
- We hosted daily telephone operational briefings where all personnel were encouraged to listen into
- As the operations director, I invested my time by being visible and visiting frontline workers as much as possible.
If you lead your team through these tumultuous times and have any questions or need a friendly ear to bounce ideas off, just hit reply.
Or, if you want me to join your team – at no charge – through video or telephone, we can set up a call anytime.
Webinars & Media Interviews
How will your organization survive COVID19? – 23 April
Leadership in Times of Crisis Steve’s Webinar for CPHR-AB – 21 April
Leading Beyond COVID Webinar – 9 April
COVID-19 Guidance and Resources
Please note that the following external links are ‘evergreen’ and continually updated.
But understand that I can not guarantee that they contain the most current information.
- Actively encourage anyone who is feeling ill to stay home and away from others.
- Use and encourage good hygiene practices, such as frequent handwashing and avoiding touch.
- Consider additional social distancing measures, such as working remotely.
- Review or create a Business Continuity Plan for your organization, ensuring it contains:
- Processes to follow if an employee becomes ill;
- Policies around travel;
- Policies around sick leave;
- How to mitigate risk so essential business functions can continue; and
- Internal and external communications plans.
- Guidelines: Government of Canada: COVID-19 Travel Advice
- In Alberta, call Health Link at 8-1-1 for instructions if you, or a member of your team, are experiencing symptoms such as fever, cough, difficulty breathing and have travelled outside of Canada or were exposed to someone who has COVID-19.
- Website: Alberta Health Link
Resources from the Government of Canada
Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan | Support for Canadians and Businesses
COVID-19: First Nations Community Guide on Accessing Additional Supports | Covid-19 specific funding, supports, and resources
Additional Support for Canadian Businesses from the Economic Impact of COVID-19 | Measures part of the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
Trade Commissioner – Resources for Canadian Businesses | Contains relevant and important information for businesses navigating challenges and uncertainty in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19: Changes to Canadian taxes and benefits | Updates on changes to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) services, due dates and programs affected by the pandemic.
Employment Insurance (EI) and Sickness Benefits | The one-week waiting period for EI sickness benefits will be waived for new claimants who are quarantined so they can be paid for the first week of their claim.
Changes to Taxes and Benefits | Deferral of GST/HST Tax Remittances (COVID-19 Measures)
Support to Businesses | Extending the Work-Sharing program, providing small businesses with wage subsidies, Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP)
CRA My Business Account | Setting up your My Business Account
Resources from the Government of Alberta
COVID-19 info for Albertans | Actions to protect Albertans and prevent the spread of novel coronavirus
Emergency Isolation Support | Financial support for working Albertans who are experiencing a loss of income resulting from self-isolation due to COVID-19
Alberta Employment Standards Rules | Laws for minimum wage, overtime, holidays, job-protected leaves, vacations, hours of work, earnings, youth workers and termination.
Additional Business Supports
COVID-19 Preparedness | Edmonton Chamber of Commerce
Coronavirus and Small Business: Keeping You and Your Employees Safe | Canadian Federation of Independent Business
EDC stands ready to support Canadian exporters impacted by COVID-19 | Export Development Canada
COVID-19 and Real Estate | Real Estate Council Alberta
COVID-19: Tips for Small Businesses | Business Link
Creating an Emergency Response Plan (ERP) | Business Link
Resources for Business Leaders | Punchcard Systems
COVID-19 in Edmonton | Taproot
I Lost my Gig |A resource for freelancers and those in the creative industry to connect and share stories
4 things you can be doing to get your business through this | Women of Influence
COVID-19 Small Business Help Centre | The Canadian Federation of Independent Business